Friday, September 13, 2013

To Glock or Not To Glock


After years of shooting long guns of every sort I hope to be in the market for my first handgun very shortly.

Here in Canada the red tape involved with acquiring a handgun (“Restricted”) license is a nightmare. I sent in my application on May 10th and they finally conducted the phone interview with the second of my 2 listed references just this morning. The interview stage is the final stage before approval, so, with any luck, I should have my license within 2 weeks. That would bring the total wait for license approval to 20 weeks, but who’s counting… (our tax dollars hard at work, but I digress).
So, with all that bureaucracy behind me I can finally get to the good stuff – handgun shopping. The question now is: what to buy?



My first pistol will be for target shooting. I’ve thought about this a fair bit over the summer and in my mind I was always going to buy some type of revolver. That line of thought has really changed as I’ve read countless reviews on various types and models of handguns and watched enough small arms videos on YouTube to make my neighbours nervous.



I like revolvers because it seems like they’re more fun to shoot and more interactive than a semi. 3 months ago, if you would have asked me about my interest in Glock firearms I wouldn’t even have had a reply. BUT from all the research I’ve done the Glock 17 seems to be the weapon to beat (Dark Earth model pictured), especially in the new Gen 4 configuration.



Although .22lr is recommended for starters like me, I think I’d out-grow a .22 relatively quickly so that’s where the 9mm comes in. It’s got some jam and it’s relatively inexpensive to shoot (compared to other center-fire calibers anyway).



So the first question is: Revolver or Semi?



Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment